- Did we almost have a Han Solo movie before Disney bought Lucasfilm? It certainly seems that way.
- In a revealing new interview about the inspirations behind Solo: A Star Wars Story, co-writer Lawrence Kasdan reveals he was hired to write a Han Solo film before the big Disney purchase of Lucasfilm.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story is the latest Star Wars spin-off film, set in the ever-expanding Star Wars universe now owned and controlled by Disney.
- In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, writer Lawrence Kasdan – who co-wrote Solo as well as The Force Awakens, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi – confirms that before Disney came in, he was already working on a Han Solo screenplay.
- “I sat with George in April of 2012, and the company was sold in September of 2012, so it was a relatively short amount of time before. But one of the first conversations I had creatively with George was about doing other movies than the saga films. And he had a few ideas he was kicking around but he was very open to where this might go in the Star Wars universehe was planning to retire. He was talking to me about making these films.”
- In the same EW interview, Lawrence and Jon Kasdan both discuss their inspirations for the Solo script.
- As for Gangster No. 1, which features Solo co-star Paul Bettany, Jon Kasdan says what inspired Solo was the film’s “Combination of class and swagger and real danger.”