- GANGNEUNG, Korea – USA Hockey is working with the IOC to see whether goalies Nicole Hensley and Alex Rigsby really will have to remove the Statue of Liberty from their goalkeepers masks.
- USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said on Tuesday “Discussions are ongoing” after the IOC said earlier the images would have to be removed.
- The IOC views the image as a possible violation of its policy against political symbols.
- The rule from the IOC Guidelines Regarding Authorized Identifications: No item may feature the wording or lyrics from national anthems, motivational words, public/political messaging or slogans related to national identity.
- Hensley’s Statue of Liberty image is on the left side of her mask, and Rigsby’s is on her chin.
- Neither goalie played in USA’s opening 3-1 win against Finland.
- Fischer said it the situation should be resolved before USA’s Tuesday game against Russia.